Monday, March 30, 2009

Sorry, I simply don't understand you, Madame

So, as my Monday morning routine, I carried the laundry to the laundromat. I always had a book to read while I was waiting for the laundry to be done.

As I was reading, a lady started having a conversation with me. The reason I knew she was talking to me, was because I was the only other person in that laundromat. She was very talkative and excited with full facial expression, and I had to nod my head with a big smile without knowing what she was talking about. I politely asked her in French if she could speak English, and she gave me a big "NO." I thought that would be the end of conversation.

But she continued talking to me, in much slower speed, more gentle tone, and more facial expression, hoping I would understand her and engage in the conversations. As attentive as I listened to her and as hard as I tried to understand her, I simply didn't get anything she said. She didn't know that it's not the speed she talked, but it's the language barrier I had with her.

I realize that I have the same tendency to slow down when talking to French people in English, and they simply don't get what I say either. As frustrated as I felt, I appreciated the lady being so friendly and keeping me in the non-conversational conversations. And because of that, I may start learning some French.

3 comments:

  1. she was trying to tell you who I am, didn't you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, why should you have all the fun over there? hehehe

    ReplyDelete