Friday, April 3, 2009

Started packing and Opera House revisit

Remember we had to re-pack our luggage due to over weight before our departure in San Francisco? I got a new luggage in town, but I was still a bit paranoid about fitting everything in our luggage. So, as soon as I got up, I started packing and throwing most of our stuff into all the available luggage. By the time everything looked fine to me, it's about lunch time. 4 pieces of luggage were pretty much filled up the hotel room.

Opera Palais Garnier (Opera House) has been in my mind since my first visit. Spencer and I were there a few weeks ago, but it was closed due to some performance and we didn't get to visit it inside. So, I got myself ready and took Metro to see the Opera House. To be honest, I didn't know what to expect.

The Opera House was founded by Louis XIV in 1669 and was built on the orders of Napoleon III. The project was put out for competition and won by Charles Garnier who was an unknown 35-year-old architect. The project started in 1860, lasted 15 years and finished in 1875.

One word to describe my impression of the Opera House: BREATHTAKING!!



The Opera House is unbelievably grand! The most amazing fact is that it is a live opera house. There are performances in this particular location, and the performance tonight was completely sold out. Haha, it's not hard to believe that! If I have looked into their performance schedule, I would have booked a performance or two myself. It is simply speechless....

Luckily, I got in one of the boxes to see some performers rehearsing for about 5 minutes, and once again I got to see the incredible stage design shortly. Wow, it's definitely a great end note for my Paris trip....


No comments:

Post a Comment